2/19/10

Do You Respond To Phone Calls or Emails?

February 20, 2010

QUESTION: Do you respond to phone calls and return Emails? Really, if I call you or send you an Email will you respond to me?

What in the world has happened to professional courtesy and business decorum? Of late I have been hearing from sales people, executive recruiters, customer service personnel with follow up calls and they are all echoing the same complaint. “…Nobody returns phone calls or Nobody will take my phone calls or why don’t people return Email requests?”

If you believe in the Golden Rule, then this whole message applies to you. The next time a business sales call comes in, take two minutes to listen to the spiel. Ascertain quickly if you might have a need and set a more convenient time to talk. Please don’t tell me how busy and important you are, because that’s a lame excuse. How about the person who trying to make an honest living through a legitimate business? Is his or her time not important as well? We need to respect each other and give credence where credence is due.

My wife Denise, who handles the Executive Search side of Gman Business Resources told me that one day last week she made 25 sales marketing calls looking for new business and/or job orders. She said it was the most unreal day of all because, “I was put into 25 voice mails and before the week came to an end I did not receive one return phone call.”

This story has been repeated to me over and over again as I travel. I get Emails with people asking for suggestions on how to get folks to at least give them courtesy of 2 or 3 minutes to set a time when it would best work for them.

When I hear executives tell me they don’t take unsolicited phone calls, I always ask about their sales force. “Is this the way you want your sales force treated?” “How do you know you don’t need what information they are offering? Why do you want them to keep calling you back and fill up your voice mail box?”

WHY NOT DEAL WITH IT WHEN IT HAPPENS AND MOVE IT FORWARD OR SHUT IT DOWN SO THAT YOU CAN BOTH GET ON WITH YOUR BUSINESS AT HAND.

I had a salesman contact me last week and his opening line was, “I have services that will double your business!” I stopped him and asked, “Before we go on, tell me what you know about my business.” He stumbled and fell because he really didn’t know anything about my business and the conversation was over rather quickly.

The other rule is, answer all your calls before you go home. If someone thought you were important enough to leave you a message, respond and deal with it today. It will save you many more dollars because your staff won’t have to handle additional incoming calls over and over again from the same people you could have put to bed several calls ago. Stop hiding behind your voice mail America. Let’s talk to each other, trade fairly with each other and grow ourselves, our companies and our great country! As American business people, we are in control. Demonstrate it!

So again I ask you, will you take my call or respond to my Email? Have a tremendous week. Your comments are always welcome and if I can assist you in any way, call or write and I will respond immediately!

Regards,

George F. Mancuso, CPC
Gman Business Resources, Inc.
Grinnell, Iowa